BACnet gateway communication protocol was designed to enable communication of building automation & control for application like HVAC, Access control, Lighting control, fire detection systems & their associated devices.it runs mechanisms for computerized building automation devices to exchange information, irrespective of the particular device they perform. There are two types of BACnet Protocols, BACnet IP & BACnet MSTP.
BACnet IP describes the way BACnet networks may be formed from group of devices which uses the TCP/IP family of protocols for their communication.
BACnet MSTP is token passing protocol, where in MS stands for Master – Slave & the TP stands for token passing. BACnet MSTP is mainly used to connect field devices to controllers/ routers/control applications. It uses RS485 as its physical layer that allows up to 128 devices to be installed on a single network.
Advantages of BACnet Gateway Communication Protocol
- Designed particularly for building automation & control networks.
- It supports COV (change of value) on BACnet IP
- It also supports BBMD (BACnet IP Broadcast Management Device)
- Independent of local or wide area networking technologies.
- Scalable from tiny, singe building applications to global networks of many of devices.
- Allows the users to add non-standard extensions & enhancements without affecting existing interoperability safely.
- It used by the most important fire protection companies in both the USA & Europe.
- Supported by most chiller manufacturers.
- It is completely open and can be built by anyone without the use of proprietary technology, tools or license fees.